Tuesday, 7 June 2011

Uncertainty in an uncertain world?

We are living in times of change. Where the things that we once relied upon are no longer anchors in our very fragile lives. These so called anchors have held us back and even sunk a few people during the storms of life. So we find ourselves clinging on to anything that we think is true,  "from a certain point of view" that last line was from Obi-Wan Kenobi in Star Wars! It's the "from a certain point of view" that challenges me as a Christian.

Making the 'right' decision I find very difficult.  Do we take the usual road that appears easy, but gets us in to all kinds of problems and feeling pretty awful at the end or do we take another route? A road full of challenges, where we may have to stand out from the crowd, have our opinions questioned and even our intentions challenged, even though we know deep down this is the 'right' choice. Unfortunately I still find myself making the wrong choices in life. That's were "from a certain point of view" comes into play. Actually, what I really mean is from 'my point of view', which causes me problems and then find myself grabbing onto an anchor to find security where there is only my insecurities.

When I first became a Christian I was given by a member of our church a wrist band with WWJD. For weeks I just didn't know what it meant then it dawned on me, what would Jesus do? That's what I want to do more of, making decisions 'from Jesus' point of view'. Colossians 3:1 gives words of guidance in making our choices, "And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him." No longer do we need to grab hold of our so called anchors and insecurities of our life, but hold on to solid foundations through Jesus our Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment