Friday, 5 November 2010

More than a great read

Whilst listening to a Christian internet radio station (www.thisispower.co.uk). A preacher came on to talk about The Bible and applying this to life. This was very relevant to something that had been on my mind all week. 

At any of the Bible study and discipleship groups I have attended, not once have I walked away thinking, "What a boring read that was, I'll  pop it on the top shelf and read it another time", knowing that it will gather dust like all those other ones. The Bible has completely challenged and changed people, unfortunately sometimes I have dismissed these messages because they have been so close to the truth in my life.

So, I am listening to the internet, when the preacher talks about The Words being guidance for life. A safe and secure place, a wall of protection that sets clear boundaries in our life that by following means we are living to the potential that Jesus sees for each one of us. Don't confuse a safe and secure place with walls like a prison because there is an open gate where we are free to leave at anytime. Proverbs 30:5 (NIV), "Every word of God is flawless; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him."

I was given some advice when reading this great book and I would like to share this with anyone who is in the same position. Ask yourself three important questions when reading scripture;

1. What did the writer mean?

2. What does this mean to you?

3. What could God be saying to you?

The Living Word will still challenge you as that is intended, but this advice may give you a way to focus your thoughts.



No comments:

Post a Comment