Wednesday, 15 September 2010

Then the light bulb came on

I went to school, quite sometime ago. It was when BBC made computers. Well I say computers, they were more like big lumps of plastic with steam coming from them. Let me just say I was not the greatest student ever; but I always remember my Chemistry lessons. The teacher always seemed passionate about their subject, he told great stories, which engaged me. One thing he always did at the end of each lesson was to leave things hanging. What I mean, is that he finished the lesson with a question (or statement) that was thought provoking. Trusting that his students would fill in the gaps. Most people had what I call the 'aha' moment, when they really got the learning, just like a light bulb going on.

Shortly I'm going to tell you something that I hope blows your mind like it does mine, every time I think about it. I have been interested in how people learn and develop for many years and subscribe to the principle; "you can trust people to learn, if you create the right environment", assuming they want to of course (this isn't the mind blowing bit :o) ). There are hundreds of books on this subject. All of them explaining various models and some claiming to be the most up-to-date yet. 

Here is the bit that blows my mind,  Jesus used these approaches about 2000 years ago. I am amazed by the stories He tells and just when you really get into it, He leaves things hanging to let people fill in the gaps later and have real life changing experiences. In Mark 8:21 (NIV) Jesus really challenges His Disciples with the line "Do you still not understand?" at the end of his sermon or in Mark 7:15,  "Rather, it is what comes out of a man that makes him 'unclean'." Then He ups and leaves. There are so many more examples of Him engaging people with life changing teachings. Can you imagine what it would be like for the crowds who followed our Lord Jesus around and the 'light bulb' moments they had. 

This post is from the ramblings of someone who has had that 'light-bulb' moment. Whose life has changed in so many ways for the better, by following our Lord Jesus. 

1 comment:

  1. Yes, Jesus' parables are wonderful, like Zen koans. They force you to look into yourself.

    ReplyDelete