Friday, 3 September 2010

Stopping off and the numbers are changed...

My son and me stopped off at a family pub and restaurant today. You know the type, find a table to sit down at, then deliberate and cogitate on what you are going to eat. Take everyone's order from your group, go to the food counter and then you forget your table number!


Wonder what would happen if it was a busy Sunday afternoon and somebody changed all the numbers on all of the tables in the venue. Guess it would be absolute pandemonium (if you are thinking impossible, they would have another system then go with this anyway :0) ); nobody would know which order went where? How would they decide? By who had waited the longest, who looked the hungriest or maybe they could call the orders out. What would happen if people ordered the same food though? I know, they could give the meal to the people who had offered their feed to someone else first. How would they decide if these people are kind and deserving of it; maybe it's just that they are not that hungry and happy to give their dinner to someone else.


Then someone stands up and says to the staff, "put the food on the table and we will pick the meal we ordered". How many people will choose to get up amongst all that confusion and walk up to the table and receive their food? Some won't want to standout from the crowd; others, maybe happy commenting on how disorganised everything is and how hungry they are; others will have missed what's happening because they 'nipped off for a second'. Some would think it was complicated and believe they would not receive their 'food'.


Thinking about this situation, stepping up to the table, John 6:35-38 (NIV) offers a challenge to anyone stood in chaos and confusion with real hope for anyone who steps out from it.

Then Jesus declared, "I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty. But as I told you, you have seen me and still you do not believe. All that the Father gives me will come to me and whoever comes to me I will never drive away."

My prayer is that we all have the strength and wisdom to pull us from chaos and I ask this through Jesus Christ our Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment