Monday, 2 August 2010

The faith of a woman

In house group tonight we studied Mark 5:25-34. Basically it's about a woman who had a medical condition that she had spent lots of money and visited many doctors over 12 years to find a cure, but  realised that she was getting worse. Having heard about the miracles of Jesus, thought that if only she could touch His clothes then she would be healed. Well, she did touch His clothes after fighting through the crowds of people and was healed. Jesus not knowing who this person was, went looking for her and when found said, "Daughter, your faith has healed you. Go in peace and be freed from your suffering."

I'm not sure about you, but if that was me after 12 years of seeing doctors, spending every single penny I had and faced with disappointment after disappointment; I would have pretty much resigned myself to not finding a cure. Yet this woman was still convinced it was possible. So she sees Jesus surrounded by crowds of people. Bearing in mind I had given up on being healed (unlike the woman) the crowds would have put me right off. I would be saying something like, "What's the point, there's no way I am going to be able to get past the crowds, I'm going home. Anyway, the doctors couldn't cure me He probably wouldn't have been able to either." But she wasn't put off at all and knew that once she touched Jesus' clothing she would be healed. 

This woman had faith which healed and freed her from suffering. How much do we allow ourselves to suffer in life and I include myself in this? Is it because we are waiting for something to happen like a massive neon light from God telling us what to do next, not realising that the Lord through Jesus Christ has everything prepared and waiting. We just need to put things into action, just like the faith of a woman. 

"inactivity is caused by apathy, the enemy of faith. Easily happens if faith is seen as 'knowledge about' & not 'active trust in'.", @wacc07


No comments:

Post a Comment