Thursday, 26 August 2010

Clearing the Road

Watching kids learning to walk is a painful process sometimes for both parties. If you think about it, they let go of one hand stagger for a bit and then fall over. They pull themselves up and stagger a little more and fall right on the floor again. They pick themselves up, dust themselves off and start again. Eventually (fast forward in time), after lots of falling over they manage to walk to the other side and grab hold of the awaiting hand. In between all of this we supply the words or noises of encouragement. 

Once they get good at walking they apparently want to get faster at moving; three miles per hour isn't enough. So driving lessons arrive. I remember my first and thinking "two feet, three peddles; how does that work then? I have to change gear, indicate, turn the steering wheel and check my mirrors? Funny it looked so much easier when I watched my Dad driving. Eventually and after a few tests the British Government felt I was safe to be let loose on the roads by myself. I always remember my Dad saying, "now you have passed your test, this is when you learn to drive." And he was right I have never stopped learning and not just driving.

I read an article on http://westwacc.blogspot.com called "Examine ourselves" and this just stood out,

"'Examine yourselves to see if you are in the faith.....' is not so much about are you or are you not a Christian as it is about are you living, acting, speaking and developing as a Christian, becoming mature rather than remaining an infant" 

When handing my life over to God through Jesus Christ I just didn't expect this road ahead. Being born again and learning to be a Christian is like learning to walk and as painful. It's not just the learning through the bible and discussions with fellow Christians. It's 'doing' what I have learnt from God's word and living the life Jesus has shown us, unfortunately I fall short in so many ways. But any great journey is a process of learning and doing with excitement and curiosity. The Bible has lots of accounts of them.  You might think I am not enjoying my life anew I am. Just can't describe how free I feel and how becoming a Christian has saved my life. Looking at the road behind me is encouraging but looking at the journey in front is daunting, can't wait until I get my keys though. A verse which was in one of my Baptism cards helps me through the really difficult times and encourages me to keep moving forward, Proverbs 3:6: 

"Always let Him lead you, and He will clear the road for you to follow."

Beautiful Things - The Michael Gungor Band  a great tune for the journey.

I pray  for anyone who is travelling this journey and for anyone who has stopped on this road in becoming closer to our Lord through Jesus Christ and developing as a Christian.


No comments:

Post a Comment