Thursday, 15 July 2010

The s word

Not sure why, but I am finding it really difficult to write this post titled "The s word". I was going to start by describing my past experiences of talking about the s word with Christians as a non-believer and how I always ended up trying to justify why deep down I really was a good person but that doesn't do it.

I was going to write about the symptoms of the s word and  its weight on my shoulders. I was going to discuss all of the indiscretions that had mounted up through my life but again that doesn't do it. I was going to mention how I would always justify my faults by either blaming others or burying them deep inside and how sometimes I hid guilt in a very dark place in my mind, but that doesn't do it either. Of course I could divulge all of the selfish acts that I committed and how I had the arrogance to think that I was doing a great job of my life, on my own, that doesn't do it. 

I wanted to tell you about the s word in a really clever way that would make you feel comfortable about the word, yet challenge your thinking so that you would get it, that just doesn't do it. You see the s word is sin and sin is what prevents us from having a relationship with God, that does it. "For Christ died for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive by the Spirit." 1 Peter 3:18 (NIV).

No comments:

Post a Comment