Friday, 23 July 2010

Breakfast at...

Going to a breakfast meeting tomorrow, held in the church where I was baptised.

I remember the day when I discussed, and made the decision to be baptised with an elder from my church. It just felt like the right thing to do, I had repented for my sins and invited God into my life. Baptism was the very important next step. People who know me will say I like to reflect on things, decide the pros and cons, sleep on the matter, leave it a bit longer and then make a decision. When it came to being baptised I just knew, call it an urge, a very serious one, I just knew straight away. When the date had been set someone pointed out that this was Pentecost.

As a new Christian I really had no idea what that meant and the significance. Pentecost, a festival that celebrates on the day of Jewish Pentecost, the descent of the Holy Spirit on to the disciples after the death, resurrection  and ascension of Jesus our Lord. What must that day have been like for the disciples? Acts 2:1-13 describes this amazing day. 

As the baptism drew closer I started to think about the really practical side of things and important issues like, would the water be warm enough, would  it be easy getting into the pool, is there a chance I could drowned and what will people think. Firstly let me reassure you that the water was lovely and warm, I got into the pool and without a diving board and I am still here to tell you about the experience. Friends and family were there and that was really important to me for them to see my faith to God through our Lord Jesus Christ. As far as what people think, I just want them to know I am a Christian, a child of God.

Matthew 3:11-16 (NIV) may help if you are contemplating baptism;

"I baptize you with water for repentance. But after me will come one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not fit to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire. His winnowing fork is in His hand, and He will clear his threshing floor, gathering His wheat into the barn and burning up the chaff with unquenchable fire."

Then Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan to be baptized by John. But John tried to deter Him, saying, "I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?" Jesus replied, "Let it be so now; it is proper for us to do this to fulfill all righteousness." Then John consented. As soon as Jesus was baptized, He went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and He saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and lighting on him.

No comments:

Post a Comment